Search

For Residents

City History

Richmond was founded in 1798 by Colonel John Miller, a Revolutionary War soldier. In 1798, the Kentucky Legislature authorized the moving of the Madison County seat from nearby Milford to land owned by Colonel Miller.

The move was bitterly opposed by about 300 residents of the Milford area and a fight to retain the seat resulted between Dave Kennedy, who represented the Milford location, and William Kearly, who represented the new site.

Although history does not record the results of the brawl, the county approved the move in March of 1798 and two acres of land were purchased from Colonel Miller. Court was held in his barn.

On July 4, 1798, the site was officially named Richmond in honor of Miller's birthplace, Richmond, Virginia.

Richmond takes pride in being the home place of a "Prime Minister" to Russia and five Governors: William J. Stone, Governor of Missouri; James B. McCreary, twice Governor of Kentucky; David R. Francis, Governor of Missouri; Green Clay Smith, Governor of Montana Territory; Keen Johnson, Governor of Kentucky; and Cassius Marcellus Clay, "Prime Minister" during 1861, 1863, and 1869.

 

Chronological Listing of Mayors

Years: Name:
1896 - 1897 T.T. Covington
1898 - 1901 Claude Smith
1901 - 1905 D.R. Tevis
1906 - 1909 C.E. Woods
1909 - 1917 Samuel Rice
1918 - 1921 L.P. Evans
1921 - 1933 William O'Neil
1934 - 1937 D.F. Powers
1938 - 1941 William O'Neil
1934 - 1937 G.C. Cox
1949 - 1950 Grant Robinson, Jr.
1950 - 1952 William Ritter
1953 - 1953 John P. Reichspfarr
1954 - 1957 Ed Wayman
1958 - 1961 Chester Luxon
1962 - 1966 Earl B. Baker
1966 - 1967 Virgil McWhorter
1968 - 1969 Wallace
1970 - 1977 Maffett
1978 - 1981 James C. Todd
1982 - 1985 William H. Strong
1986 - 1989 Earl B. Baker
1990 - 2002 Ann L. Durham
2003 - 2010 Connie Lawson
2011 - Present Jim Barnes