On March 13, 2012, the Board of Commissioners for the City of Richmond passed an ordinance requiring the registration of alarm systems operating within the city limits and establishing reimbursement fees for repeated false alarm calls (Ordinance 12-07). A one-time $25 registration fee is required.
Ordinance 12-07 (PDF) of the City of Richmond, Kentucky requiring registration of burglar, hold-up, and fire alarm systems and establishing reimbursement fees for repeated false alarm calls
The alarm ordinance has the following requirements:
- A one-time $25 registration fee. This fee is payable when a new alarm is registered or upon the first alarm responded to by police or fire department personnel after the enactment of the ordinance. Following payment of the alarm registration fee, a sticker bearing the alarm registration number will be supplied to the occupant/business owner and must be placed on the alarm box/keypad as evidence of registration.
- Upon the first false alarm activation of the calendar year, notice will be sent to the alarm holder with a warning that the fourth false alarm in the calendar year will result in the imposition of reimbursement fees to the city.
- An alarm user may appeal the assessment of the reimbursement fee to the Chief of Police or the Chief of the Fire Department.
- Failure to comply with the requirements of the alarm ordinance is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $500 with each day of the violation being a separate offense.
False Alarm Fees
The false alarm fees were established as follows:
- In the case of a fire alarm, $250 for the fourth and fifth false alarms, $500 for the sixth and seventh false alarms; and $1,000 for each subsequent alarm.
- In the case of other false alarms (burglar, hold-up, etc.), $50 for the fourth and fifth false alarms, $100 for the sixth and seventh false alarms, and $300 for each subsequent false alarm.
Any questions regarding alarm registration procedures, please call the City Alarm Coordinator, Connie Clayburn, at the Richmond Police Department, telephone number 859-623-1162, ext. 3004.